Saturday, March 13, 2010

Rite of Passage

Marina finally decided she wanted her ears pierced. When given the choice, she wanted it done before her birthday. So we made a day of it.

First, Marina had her hair cut and styled. She decided to cut two inches off the bottom and I asked for layers. The stylist put it in a sassy ponytail which prominently showed off her ears. She also got a shot of glitter for her hair.


Then came time for the ears. Marina picked out pink jewel earrings. No surprise there. They had two stylists do the procedure, one on each ear. However it didn't go as smoothly as I had hoped. One ear was pierced several seconds before teh other. Marina said, "Ow!" and started to cry. I told her she was very brave but she denied that because she cried.


For about two hours, she was miserable. Her earlobes were bright red and she complained they hurt. She told me several times that she wished she hadn't gotten them pierced and she looked at me as though I'd done something terrible to her.


Finally after lunch and me spoiling her all morning long, she got over the pain and now seems very happy that she has earrings now. She proudly shows off her new earrings to everyone. She is eagerly looking forward to being able to wear all sorts of fancy earrings. I guess it was worth it after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment