Sunday, June 22, 2014

It's All Greek

When I was a child, my parents used to take me to the Greek Festival at the Greek Orthodox Church. I haven't been there in many years. So when I suggested it to Marina, she was interested in checking it out. She still has a bit of a cough and the weather looked threatening, but she still insisted she wanted to go.

We arrived a few hours after it opened and we were very lucky to find a good parking place right away. As we entered, we saw several rides for kids. Marina was immediately excited. I suggested we look around the festival first. She grumbled until I said, "Look at all the shopping." She saw a jewelry shop and was definitely interested in looking around. So we looked through a few stores before checking out the rest of the festival. We found a few more rides, by now, Marina couldn't wait anymore, so she took her turn on some of them. She especially liked the spinning ride, she rode it several times.

We decided to stop for a snack. I got baklava, but couldn't get Marina to even try it. Marina got ice cream instead. She was disappointed that they didn't have chocolate, but they made it up to her by giving her vanilla with chocolate syrup and sprinkles.

We took our food to the main stage and ate while we watched two children's groups perform traditional dances from Greece and Crete. The MC was Miss Colorado - Marina really liked her crown. After the dancing, Marina took a few more rides and then we headed home. I wanted to go on a tour of the cathedral, but Marina was too tired and the weather had taken a bad turn. But we'd had a fun afternoon. Opa!


No comments:

Post a Comment